Saturday 10 May 2014

A day in Dubai

I could get long winded about the longish flight, the ordinary food on the plane but it's part of what we do to get from one place to another.
Dubai. It's an extremely clean, Islamic, cashed up city that has only 7% native population, according to our cab driver.
During the GFC I thought I might want to come and work here, but even then the sums didn't stack up.
Now that I've witnessed what so many have told me about, albeit briefly, I'm glad I chose to stay close to my family.
By all means come and see the place for yourself but I wager that you will find the over abundance of opulence nauseating after a very short while.
Tomorrow we visit Atlantis, which, according to mate of mine, redefines "over abundance of opulence".
Tonight we drove past it  on the way to Bu Qtair and couldn't see from the road  so it will be interesting to see what excesses await us.
By the by, Bu Qtair is a little fish restaurant I discovered whilst trawling through Trip Advisor and eventually saw Anthony Bourdain visit it on one of his shows.
Everything you hear and read about it is true. Go looking on the interwebz and find out for yourself.

Finally, this place must have more Chevy Camaro's than L.A., but I haven't seen a car worthy of the "exotic" title yet.
Maybe it's because we're staying in an area that seems to have a population made up of 99.999% Pakistanis. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment