Friday 23 May 2014

Malaga, before getting back on the saddle

After checking in we went to our room to be greeted by two single beds.
Back we went to reception to ask if it were possible to have a double bed room.
"Oh, you want a double bed! You will have to wait for us to make one for you. It will take about one hour." was the smile-less young receptionist retort.
As we sat there for over two hours, and no-one bothering to say a thing, I pondered if we had finally found THE place Spain that not only were not able to smile but also didn't understand what service means.
It wasn't only us tome and hat they treated with utter indifference,
The few travel forums I subscribe to will get an entry about this place
In the afternoon we caught the train into Malaga Central.
It's a much bigger place than I imagined. We walked around what I imagine is the central shopping area, similiar to our Bourke Street / Swanston Street etc. etc.
The noticeable and expected differences between Malaga and Melbourne, in my view, is that the locals dress up (which doesn't necessarily mean putting on more clothes, and notably it means less, often), every age and level of infirmity (loads of wheelchair bound old folk being pushed around) and they come out late and stay out until very late.

As we know that this night was going to be the last opportunity for a good sleep in we headed of home ~6pm.
When we got off the train at Plaza Mayor (be careful as some of the pics have nothing to do with Plaza Mayor Malaga!) we saw so many little decent looking restaurants among the insidious Macca's, Burger Kings, local of Pizza Hut etc. etc.
One had a choice of a "seafood fry up" or a "mixed meats" plate with a bottle of wine.
Here's what we chose -
It's much much bigger than it looks in this picture!

It had baby octopus, white bait, salmon, prawns with a very tasty dipping sauce. That, plus a house salad (we needed something with vegetables!) and a bottle and a half of wine was probably twice as much as we should have had.
Being a big believer in universal balance I knew that something that I enjoyed to that extent must have price to pay.
And it did! At about 3am I woke up with a case of heartburn that would have justified someone doing a thesis on. That's it NO MORE FRIED FISH OR RED WINE, EVER! At least not until next time.

We had breakfast at the hotel. Breakfast was actually what Tiz had - yogurt and muesli.
I had a vegetable omelette and  cured salmon. Yes I know what you're thinking but that salmon was just too good not to eat, even if it was only 10am.

Breakfast, which included enough coffee to send a harden Turk into the shakes, we went west along the beach.  
I'm sure I've seen this place referred to as the Gold Coast of Spain.
As you walk along the beach this is what you see for km after km.
On the left is a completely enclosed hotel resort full of what I think were Germans.
All sitting facing the pool with the odd well placed tanned guapo doing aerobics to really bad house disco.  
Mmmmmm ....... nice!

To the right were dozens of chiringuito.
It's supposed to be a beach bar but looks like a place you walk through and pay for one of many neatly arranged banana lounges on the beach and then proceed to pay handsomely for drink which are brought to by a ...... you guessed .... a guapo (a handsome tanned young Spanish boy!).
This appears to be a very popular thing to do by many women, most of which, from what I saw/heard, had English accents.
"Nos encantan las damas inglesas, aquí en España!"

PETROL HEAD ALERT!
Whilst walking I saw something that is butt fugly even with the steering wheel on the left side.
BMW do NOT get everything right as is proven by the abomination known as the X6.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

We also saw this interesting Honda - 

I have no idea if it was a standard bike but it looked like it had been motarded with some K(ost) T(oo) M(uch) bits, from my quick look.

As we crossed the beach to go to our apartment we were confronted with a golf sign that I, as a motorcycle rider, understood only too well - 
 I know what this sign means, as the last time I had balls go over me they were followed by a very large motorcycle and I spent over two months in hospital!
* Beware - Golf is a dangerous game *

Later in the afternoon we went to have a look at the bike, which turned out to have an interesting but delightful twist, and get fitted with our gear. All went exceptionally well and tonight we meet up to discuss the week ahead.

We're both looking forward to the week ahead so much it's hard to describe. 40 years of waiting will do that I guess and as we're heading off quite early in the morning I don't know when I'll report back, but I'll try as best I can.

Keep well and take care, the lot of you.

   

2 comments:

  1. Marino the X6 is an abomination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the heartburn/reflux I suggest a quarter of a teaspoon of cayenne, half a lemon squeezed and a spoon of honey with a little hot water - taken every day
    Marino - make sure it's a quarter of the cayenne!
    Don't worry - it won't make your balls go over your head! Have a great ride.

    ReplyDelete