Wednesday 21 May 2014

Guapos, chicas and the climb to Jesus

This entry starts off on the afternoon of Wednesday 20th.

Again , we went to La Bretxa market but this time the stalls were open.
So much delectable food ..... decisions, decisions.
We settled on some very fresh salmon steaks, cut from the carcass of course, a bunch of  tomatoes and a packet of whitloaf lettuce. A fresh bread stick, goes without saying.
On the way home we dropped into the grocery/bottle shop to make sure we had wine to wash down what was going to be another fine home cooked meal.
As we wandered around Tiz found this little-ish room out the back with some top shelf wines.
In we went and after a real good look we found a large casket on the floor with only two types of wine in it.
A white and a rosé, neither with a price.
"That's it, the rosado fits in with what we're eating tonight so that's what we're having." I declared.
Tiz, the sensible one of this partnership says "But what if it's really expensive?"
As I head off to the counter I reply "It can't be that dear. It's a rosé!"
It was €2.60.
The sometimes prophetic words of Mike TC (No good wine cost less than $30!) are ringing in my ears.
It's a punt and I am prepared to send it where that other bottle of wine from our friend Apu, in Barcelona, went - down the drain - rather than put it back on the shelf and choose another.

Long story short, it wasn't a bad drop and it was just fine with our salmon steaks, another potato tortilla and an excellent salad.

We decided to go for a walk along the seawall and catch the sunset.
By the time we got there, ~9pm and ~30 minutes before the sun sank into the horizon, a lot of San Sebastian were already there.
Roller bladders, guapos dry humping their little chicas, groups of friends munching through mountains of dry pumpkin seeds and swilling San Miguels, buff guys taking their American pitbulls for a drag, and so many more.
We took a load of pictures with our phones but not one would do the blood red sun settling into the sea for the evening any justice.

As we walked home we decided that as the next day was to be our final day in this idyllic little town we would accomplish something cathartic and meaningful.
We would climb to Jesus!
 ....who in this case sits atop an old fort that is only 123m above sea level on Monte Urgull.
It would be like Camino de Santiago, but without the long distance or the hardship or the communal bedding or the supposed camaraderie or the peasant food or the religious fervour.
Yeah, just like Camino de Santiago, but not.

It's only 2kms but it felt like a vertical climb. I've included some pics just to remind myself never to do something like this again, unless there's a motorbike or a helicopter involved.
Proof that we both made it!
Tiz, with Donostia at her back

Jesus whispered in my ear
"Bless you Marino, even though you are not too bright.
as is evident by the fact that you took the longest path up here." 

   After enjoying the spectacular views and waiting for my pulse to drop below 190 it was time head home for a feed, a drink and some writing.
We had to stop off at THE shop, the one with bread and beer and food and fruit, to get bread.
As I entered I thought to myself "I can't remember what that Cannabia hemp beer was like so I'll get some more!"   As it turns out it's quite good and although I have no idea what cannabis taste like all I could taste was a nice light hop beer. So nice in fact that Tiz, who dislikes beer in general found it "Nice." too


      These Spaniards stock everything in these wonderful little shops including

I think they pay you €1.45 to take one away!
 
Me, trying to fit in as a local by carrying a breadstick around with me
 ...... and a very small person jumping up to take a bite from it

Tonight is our last night here in San Sebastian - Donostia so we're going to the old town for a feed at La Cepa.
It's been a family business since 1948 and the son and current owner want it to stay the way it was when it opened, plus the food on the bar looked terrific when we walked past it earlier on today!

OK, we're off for walk now to a part of town we haven't explored yet.

Next post will be (my) tomorrow from Malaga.

Mañana amigos.

1 comment:

  1. I almost spat my tea all over the monitor when I read what Jesus said to you!

    ReplyDelete